Friday, July 31, 2009

Atonement RPI: Accepting Player Volunteers

I'll keep this simple and put a better version up onto the forum when it is breathing again; if you would like to volunteer to help with building or crafting purely as a player, please send me an email to let me know what sort of building you feel most inspired to do (and if there are any sorts that you do not want to have to do). Also, it will help if you provide me with some sort of sample of your writing. From there, I'll make use of those of you who I can, and co-ordinate with you to let you in on the process of helping us build this game from the ground up.

We are not yet hiring staff, beyond the group that we have established. We would rather players play our game without knowing its secrets than to immediately hire on a ton of staff, even though we've been had many very creative minds expressing that very interest! Once the game is up and we have an idea of how large the playerbase is, we will only hire on staff as needed to support the playerbase. However, we will continue to expand on our system of allowing for player volunteers to submit work to us in such a way that does not ruin their experience as players, but still allowing for them to take pride in having contributed to the gameworld as a whole. Every volunteer will be listed on a special thanks page, unless they do not wish to be.

Once again, thank you all for your positive energy; it took a group of us who were pretty bewildered, depressed or exhausted - and energized us to get right back to creating. Your support has been great, and I'm hoping that we can surprise even the cynics with what we're capable of.

To send in your application to be a Player Volunteer, please email the following to donathinfrye@gmail.com -

1) Your Name or Alias.
2) Your previous building experience.
3) Your proudest creative moment.
4) A sample(s) of your writing in the way descriptions for one room, one object and one MOB that you might find in this world (do not be afraid to take a shot in the dark on this one!)

To note is that if you would like to keep your previous identity from another MUD a secret, you may absolutely do so. As far as I am concerned, anyone wanting to get involved with Atonement RPI as a player, volunteer or otherwise has a clean slate. That does not mean that you cannot get a dirty slate again, however.

---

Additionally, if you would be interested in being an Ethics and Policy Co-ordinator, or a Forum Moderator, you may also get in touch with me and explain why you think you'd be a fair fit for one of those roles. Transparency on your identity might be more important in this case, however.

Thank you, and hopefully both the free-form brainstorm forum and the new forum will be up this weekend! Keep your eye on the blog here for any new information or stories in the meantime.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got mine in!
-R.

Anonymous said...

I would apply but I am not much of a builder :(

Donathin said...

Keep the applications coming, though I've been surprised by the number of applications thus far; I've never received this many applications or submissions for anything before on an RPI Project, whether it be for Angost objects, town names, or applications for Northlands staff.

The quality is really very good right now. Once you are assigned a Crew, I'm going to encourage you (just this once!) to hit me up at AIM: SongweaverSOI. Once our forums are up, I'll create a Player Volunteer forum to help co-ordinate work like this. In the meantime, this is how it will work...

We will have a Player Volunteer Lead. When I'm not about, they will be the person you go to for quality control and brainstorming. The crews break down to building assignments, of which I will converse with the Volunteer Lead(s) and we will give you generalized subject or specific things to work on. The breakdown is simple:

- Room Crew
- Objects Crew
- MOB Crew

I've tried to assign you to the Crews that I think you will be most effective in, though you can always try to convince me otherwise. Since we're building a world from ground up, this is a really good opportunity to make your stamp in things. In the future, many other types of opportunities will present themselves, but we are working hard and towards a rough deadline - and so efficiency will be key.

I'm very excited to be working with you guys, and I'm very honoured that so many people want to have a hand in this project.

Anonymous said...

That's great news. Glad to hear so many have stepped forward. I would but my building skills are pretty "crap" I'm more of a PR sort of person.

Anonymous said...

Congratz and I can't wait to see the new project! You've got a lot of creative minds working on this, clearly, and I know it'll be a lot of fun. Please accept my best wishes.

Caris

Anonymous said...

Are you still accepting volunteers? Sent an application but never got a response. It's okay to tell me I don't have what it takes, because I don't consider myself a good builder. Would just like to know if it's been declined. :)

Donathin said...

I've responded to my entire inbox now. If for some reason you sent it in, and I've not responded to you, please check my email (donathinfrye@gmail.com) and send it in again! :D